Dreams with Nicole
What’s on your mind right now:
Who’s visual expression makes you feel overwhelmed?
– I love the French new wave in cinema and particularly Eric Rohmer because of the beautiful scenery and the way that he dives into relationships. He focuses less on what people do and more on what people feel when doing it, which I love!
Where do you turn to online for inspiration?
– I like to see something that is ”put together” as a whole. A book, magazine, exhibition or a play with scenography and music. The internet is so fragmented, so for me it works the best if I know exactly what I’m looking for, if not I can get kind of lost. I mostly use online inspirational research for my work and in that case Google is perfectly fine.
What do you dream about?
– Being more spontaneous.
What piece of writing opened your eyes?
– Might sound corny but I’m currently re-visiting Eckhart Tolle… He describes that we as human beings have an ”illusory sense of self” that he also calls the ”ego” which comes from an unconscious identification with our thoughts, memories, accumulated pain from the past, material belongings and physical appearance.
He suggests that there is a deeper level of existence when we are free from this self-identification and experience an awareness of the now. This notion of separating our thoughts about ourselves from our true self was kind of eye-opening for me.
What’s your relationship with time like?
– It feels like there is an internal clock and an external one and they do not always necessarily match.
Who would you would love to work with?
– I would love to work with someone who has a completely different point of view or subject matter than my own. A documentary photographer from Magnum perhaps? I think it would be interesting to search for talent in different fields of creativity and not only use fashion photographers for fashion and so on.
What’s your preferred space?
– It could be anywhere really, with someone I love or at home in the bath tub if I’m by myself.
Do you feel a sense of belonging in your field as a creative? How?
– As an art director, I think that sense of belonging is very much a magic that happens in some constellations. I love to be part of a group of people that can inspire each other in working towards a mutual goal.
What makes you excited about work?
– Feeling that you can do something serious with a sense of ease and feeling challenged and inspired at the same time.
Name a defining moment in your life.
– Becoming a mother… And (nothing to do with the previous) understanding that if you underestimate yourself, the risk is that other people will do too.
What’s the biggest risk of your life?
– No idea, which makes me think that perhaps it’s not yet taken?