Dreams with Laerke
What’s on your mind right now:
– Sleep, work and love.
Who’s visual expression makes you feel overwhelmed?
– I’m obsessed by the photographer Philip-Lorca diCorcia at the moment. His choice of colours, scenery and ability to show fragility really amazes me. One day I wanna make a film that has that essence that he so beautifully possesses.
What do you dream about?
– Right now I’m mostly dreaming about beaches, palm trees and having a really good margarita with my boyfriend. Sometimes I also dream about how my life would be when I’m 80. Looking back at my life with my man and laughing of all the crazy experiences we’ve had with friends and colleagues wearing a perfect Chanel suit.
Who would you would love to work with?
– I would LOVE to work with Alicia Vikander, Tilda Swinton and Meryl Streep (of course). They are some of my favourite actresses and it would be a pleasure to one day be on a shoot with one of them or even better to have them all in one film.
What’s your preferred space?
– I treasure sleep so much so I will probably have to say that my bed is my preferred space. I just bought a new one and I miss it so much now when I’m abroad and working. When I’m not working I love to stay in my bed watching movies all day and catching up on my sleep.
Do you feel a sense of belonging in your field as a creative? How?
– I can’t do anything else than film. It’s how I define myself, it’s where my mind is and were my thoughts are. Constantly and never ending.
What makes you excited about work?
– Seeing my vision comes to live.
What’s the biggest risk of your life?
– One of my biggest risks was when I moved from Copenhagen to Stockholm to approach my directorial career. My Swedish wasn’t really that good and I had no money in the bank. The first 6 months I lived on my best friends couches and walked through snow and rain cause I didn’t have any money to take the tube. It was completely worth it, but that first year definitely made we reconsider my choice.
Laerke Hertoni is a director, follow her here.
Photographed by Kimberly Ihre.